Double Wedding Ring by Quiltsmart with Martha
Thursday, 6/15/17 from 10am-2pm
Need a wedding gift? What can be more romantic than a Double Wedding Ring Quilt? Although this pattern is often thought of as a twentieth century quilt it appears to have evolved from a very old design.
The motif of two interlocking rings goes as far back as the fourth century when it was used to decorate Roman cups. These cups were made of glass decorated with connecting mental rings.
Another early example of interlocking rings is found in the gimmal ring. These rings were popular in Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries. They consisted of rings that could be interlocked. During the engagement one was worn by the man and the other by the women. When they married the two rings were fitted together to be worn by the wife.
It is thought this style of ring came to America through Germanic people who settled in Pennsylvania in the late 17th century. This pattern of interlocking rings was seen on coverlets, ceramics and other decorative objects in early America.
Martha has made a beautiful quilt with modern fabrics and will be happy to walk you through the steps to make your very own, the Quiltsmart way!
CLASS FEE: $25 SKILL LEVEL: Confident Beginner
*Students receive 15% discount on supplies purchased for classes
CLICK Double Wedding Ring for pdf supply list
- Quiltsmart Double Wedding Ring Package of interfacing and pattern. (The snuggler pack includes 4 panels of Double Wedding Ring printed interfacing & instructions. Kit yields either one small (45″ square) size or two table runners. The classic pack includes 8 panels for a twin sized project.)
- Background 2 yards
- Six arc fabrics. 1/2 yard each
- Two jewel fabrics 1/4 yard each
- Backing 1 1/2 yard
- Cotton sewing thread + several wound bobbins to match fabric
- Invisible/monofilament thread
- Sewing machine in good working order with power cord and foot pedal
- Rotary cutter with sharp blade, cutting ruler and and cutting mat
- Basic sewing supplies- seam ripper, pins, scissors, etc.
- Appliqué pressing sheet
- FasTurn size 6–optional but highly recommended